Fast Facts About Jamie XX
Jamie XX, real name James Thomas Smith, was born in London on October 28th, 1988. In addition to being a solo DJ and producer, Jamie is also a founding member of the indie-pop band The xx, which comprises Jamie, Romy Madley Croft, and Oliver Sim.
The Beginnings of The xx
- Jamie joined up with Romy and Oliver, who he’d known from university, in 2005 to form The xx, along with former member Baria Quershi. The musicians had gone to London’s Elliott School together, a university that was also home to a number of other electronic musicians, including Burial and the members of Hot Chip.
- The xx quickly started gaining traction in the latter half of the 2000s. At this point, Jamie started referring to himself in interviews and promo content as “Jamie xx.”
- Xx, The xx’s self-titled debut album, went platinum in the UK, helping to make Jamie a sought-after producer and remix artist. Following the release of the album, Jamie went on to create authorized remixes of songs by Adele, Florence + The Machine, and more.
- Jamie xx wasn’t the first choice to produce The xx’s debut album – he was originally just a member of the band. However, after the band tried collaborating with Diplo and other outsourced producers, they decided it would be best to keep things in the family.
Jamie XX Fast Facts: The Music
- In 2015, Jamie released his debut solo album, titled In Colour. The record was produced by Jamie and DJ Four Tet and released via Young Turks. In Colour is a sonic departure from the work of The xx, drawing mainly on the genres of electronica and house.
- In Colour’s singles “Loud Places,” “Gosh,” and “I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times)” were all hits, and the album received widespread critical acclaim. It hit the Billboard 200 albums chart in the US, and it went on to be nominated for the Grammy award for Best Dance/Electronic Album.
- The music video for “Loud Places,” one of the singles from In Colour, features Romy Madley Croft of The xx skateboarding around London at night. The xx vocalist also sang on the track.
- Jamie also collaborated with rappers Young Thug and Popcaan on the single “I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times).” This track, which draws inspiration from dancehall and hip-hop, became one of the most successful songs from in Colour. The track went gold in the US and was ranked by The Village Voice and Pitchfork as one of the 10 best songs of 2015.
- Jamie xx is estimated to have a net worth of between $1 million and $5 million.