Popcaan is Andre Hugh Sutherland, a dancehall DJ from Portmore Jamaica. One of the most successful artists from Jamaica, Popcaan has been making music since 2007. He’s collaborated with Drake, Jamie xx, Pusha T, Giggs, Gorillaz, Wale, Matoma, Davido, and many others, adding to his high-profile status.
Fast Facts About Popcaan
- Andre was born on July 19th, 1988 in Saint Thomas Parish, Jamaica, making him 32 years old and a Cancer. Popcaan’s net worth is estimated to be approximately $2 million.
- Popcaan started performing in 2007 in his homeland of Jamaica. He worked hard to get his first gigs as a DJ in the local reggae and dancehall scene, eventually getting taken under the wing of Vybz Kartel, a notable Jamaican producer. Kartel helped get Popcaan involved in his Portmore Empire artist collective and gave the young artist assistance with production. He also added Popcaan to the bills for local shows, helping Popcaan gain traction in the country.
- In 2010, Popcaan was featured on Vybz Kartel’s track “Clarks,” which served as his breakthrough into the mainstream. Soon, Popcaan had been awarded the Excellence in Music and Entertainment Award for Best New Artist, which he won in 2011. That year, he also received awards for Collaboration of the Year and Song of the Year for “Clarks.”
- After the release and subsequent success of “Clarks,” one of Popcaan’s next big breaks was the song “The Only Man She Want,” a track that got the artist a high-profile interview with The New York Times.
- While touring in Canada, Popcaan linked up with Drake, who had shared that he was a fan of the Jamaican artist. Thanks to their connection, Popcaan is currently signed to OVO Sound, Drake’s label. His labelmates include PartyNextDoor, Majid Jordan, Dvsn, Plaza, Wyte Knight, and others.