Fast Facts About Sufjan Stevens
Sufjan Stevens was born on July 1st, 1975, in Detroit, Michigan. He is proficient in numerous instruments, including guitar, banjo, keyboards, and wind instruments, and is also a talented singer. Sufjan’s voice has been described as hushed and intimate, which adds to the soothing, peaceful quality of the majority of his music.
- After spending his early childhood in Detroit, Stevens and his family relocated to Petoskey, Michigan, a city famous for its unique speckled stones. There, Stevens lived with his father Rasjid and his stepmother Pat. Stevens’ mother, Carrie, and his stepfather, Lowell, lived in Oregon at the time.
- Sufjan’s name is pronounced “SOOF-yahn,” contrary to the enduring “SUHF-john” that is often assumed based on the spelling. The name is Persian in origin.
- Sufjan is a graduate of Hope College in his home state of Michigan, as well as The New School in New York City, where he attended grad school.
- Stevens’ net worth is estimated to be approximately $4 million.
- Sufjan is relatively tall, measuring about 5’10”.